Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving

Part of my sweet North Dakota family was here for Thanksgiving this year. My dad, Chet, and my step mom, Kim, drove over 1,000 miles to be with us. It was wonderful to have family together. Grandparents are a precious blessing and my kids adored having them for 7 whole days. They arrived the Saturday before turkey day and from Sunday until Wednesday we had snow! In my 12 years in WA, we have NEVER had snow before Turkey day. It was an unexpected treat. Now Ted and I have roots in snow so it is only natural our 3 lively off spring would have instinctive fondness for it as well. It blessed my heart to see them making their own snow memories similar to those from my childhood.
For turkey day this year we tried turducken. It was interesting and although I am glad we did it, I personally don't know that I would do it again. In case you don't know, turducken is a boneless chicken inside of a boneless duck inside of a boneless turkey with layers of stuffing between each. For a girl who tried her first raw blueberry on purpose just this past summer, turducken was quite adventurous! (As a side note, blueberries are not tasty.) Our other dishes were more traditional in nature, my favorite being praline sweet potatoes. Yummy!


The morning of Thanksgiving we crafted a paper tree and decorated it with colored leaves. Each leaf shared something we were thankful for. This simple, fun, family project got our hearts right for the day. I am grateful for more things than I can name in a post. But I will share one, my Savior and King Jesus Christ for without Him I don't know where or who I'd be. My cup overfloweth!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures with this post! I love that your kids are so colorful, inside out! How boring to be color-coordinated...I say, bring on the colors! Wow! That first picture just looks like pure happiness to me! I'm so glad they get snow to play in sometimes or you can drive to it in the mountains! I am sure it was one of the family's fave Thanksgivings with snow AND family! Miss syou and can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete