Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Perfect Night


It's been a whirlwind week. My house has been classified as a disaster center and I'm quite certain I've forgotten how to cook. Our family has obtained departure tickets and we chose to leave destination whirlwind last night.

Last night we slowed it down and it was a perfect family night. Natalie scouted a picnic location in the back 40 and lead us all there. "We need our shoes mom. There's pokeys everywhere." she announced. We ate turkey sandwiches, strawberries and macaroni and cheese (Remember my comment about forgetting how to cook?!?!). We were "in the forest" enjoying our meal and only had a few unexpected insect visitors. The chorus of birds and insects, however, was beautiful. We watched the tops of trees dance towards heaven and it was a perfect dinner. The kids even found some blackberries ready for eating. This seems too early! It must be the heat.

After dinner, we drove to Safeway and bought a container of mint chocolate chip ice cream and cones. We then headed to the downtown fountain. We ate our ice cream and the kids played in the water. Will immediately got drenched. This is so his personality. Just go for it! He had to show us how he can sit on the water hole and block the water with his bum. Natalie took a bit to warm up, but when she did she didn't run or walk she literally skipped whenever she moved. Her smile was one of sheer delight and I'm sure it is now a memory she'll keep with her forever. Lydia got a few accidental sprays, but chose to stay dry. She raced in circles around the perimeter of the fountain, and a couple times ventured into the center. Ted was drenched! He often sprayed the kids by positioning his foot at an angle over the hole, but sometimes this plan backfired and wet he got. Will mirrored this behavior and got him good once too. I sat back and drank it all in watching each of them with a joy of my own.

We didn't bring our swimsuits, on purpose. :) The kids, and Ted just got their clothes drenched and this made it simple and more fun I think. I didn't remember my camera last night, but this too is ok since some memories are best captured in words and with the imagination. I love my family and am excited about intentionally slowing down the pace this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment