Saturday, July 24, 2010

library fines

My local library adopted a library fine system several months ago and I am a strong contributor.

When my kids were younger, "we" frequently damaged books and paid to replace them. I was/am against the whole taping it up and pretending it didn't happen bit. Just a personal conviction for me. Anyway, I remember one occasion complaining to a friend about this taped up, simple, poorly written picture book that I now owned for like $28.00. She smiled and said, so what it's $28.00 bucks, at least you use your library. This completely changed my lenses and I am thankful for her insight into a situation I was sulky over.

Yesterday, I paid my most recent late fees and they totaled $35.10. I wasn't doing cartwheels over writing that check, but I also wasn't complaining. The library system has consequences for late returns and I obviously have discipline issues in regards to those guidelines. :) The financial support I give the library, by way of fines or damaged books, is a picture of my families use of our local library. I LOVE reading to my kids and am grateful to have access to great books. So, Timberland Regional Library System, I shall continue to strive to return books and CD's on time. Until then, I hope this fine system keeps your doors open a long time.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, I hope so too!

    For me, the strangest thing about the fines so far has been that since last October when the fine system started, we haven't seen a drop off. I assumed that once people got used to the system, we'd see fewer people returning items late.

    But, we've seen the fine income stay pretty steady at $30,000 a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $30,000 a month? Wow Emmett, that's awesome revenue for library's. PLUS if people want to not pay that all they need to do is return on time. :) Our family loves the library! Do you work for the system? Blessings to you-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of seven trustees, the one for Thurston County. There is one trustee for each county in the district and two at large (one for Lewis and another for Thurston).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like that outlook on library fees. You have officially challenged my thinking therefore I will be heading down to the library when I'm back in town to pay my late fees so that we can use the library for what it is meant for again.... checking out books to responsible people! (PS....yeah...I finally have had quiet time to sit and actually check out my sis' blog! U rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS- you can pay online now too, and even establish a "reserve fund" to draw from and pay future fines!
    http://www.trl.org/Services/Pages/PayFines.aspx

    Great post, thanks for the positive outlook!
    -a lucky Timberland librarian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am tempted to start using my library here...in fact, may check into it when it opens at the new site. I think I will just miss giving books to others to read...guess I can recommend books at the library and help others to discover it, also. It would definitely be cheaper than buying everything! And I am all about cheap these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agatha Frye, thanks for the online tip! That is good to know. You are a librarian? You are lucky indeed. That is a job I would love someday.

    ReplyDelete