Thursday, July 15, 2010

big news in a lil package

On Monday we were delighted, all be it shocked, to discover our first egg! It is tiny and so precious. The kids and I broke into celebration. Good thing we don't have close neighbors, they may have thought we'd lost it! It was a great day. With the recent stress the hens had experienced I really didn't think we'd get eggs until the faint sound of silver bells could be heard. Completely unexpected, the discovery was made. Tueday we had a second egg. This egg was long and cone shaped and I had to wonder if it was painful to lay. The first eggs are often humorous in size and shape. The hens body is getting used to passing an egg, or at least that's my theory. :) Although I've been blessed with 3 babies, I can't imagine birthing one every day. I'm thankful to be a human.

Who laid the egg? We beleive it was Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Lydia's hen) because the color is a perfect match to the eggs Harriet used to lay. The hen boxes are checked thoroughly throughout the day now. Future egg reports to come.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that just hurts to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a minute, I thought you were pregnant! Excited for your egg and the ones to come!

    ReplyDelete