Saturday, July 24, 2010

Potato Farmer

I am a potato farmer this year and I am ok with that.

It seems this year that is the only successful plant story being written in my garden. The snap peas were not properly managed. It seems I forgot their climbing ladder. The spinach was harvested by poultry at sprouting. (Twice!!) The tomatoes would need sun until Christmas to yield any fruit and the cabbage is well, dying.

Back to the potatoes. I planted 2 types. One purple and the second a brown fingerling. You may recall the chickens were continually digging these back up and I replanting them yet they've persevered and are thriving. If you've never planted and grown potatoes, I think it's a must for everyone at some point and know that you are never too old to experience it. This is my first summer planting them, but I have great memories of my grandpa digging them up in the fall with his pitch fork. I remember being shocked that the potatoes were hidden just below the surface. It's fun to make garden discoveries and I can't wait to share this one with my kids.

2 comments:

  1. I remember buying blue potatoes for the first time several years ago for the 4th of july, as I wanted to have red, white, and blue potatoes. I left the skins on and we baked them but they were not done in time to eat and had to be finished in the microwave. Each color had a distinct flavor that I liked. But I did learn I couldn't depend on the RV oven! Aren't they just beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're having success in potatoes! It's one of our boy's favorite things to discover in our garden too.

    ReplyDelete