Friday, December 10, 2010

lefse

Lefse is a family tradition at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Grandma, Lorraine, made it from scratch when I was a child growing up in the great state of ND. Although I have never made it myself, I very much enjoy eating it. Lefse is a Norwegian delight. It is made from potatoes, milk, and flour. The dough is put out on a lefse griddle and turned with long sticks. A spike rolling pin is also used to flatten and texture the lefse. I eat lefse by spreading a thin layer of butter and then sprinkling sugar on it. Next, I roll it up and my taste buds then have a party. I have found good lefse is hard to find in WA. Thankfully, my dad mails it to me each year. He includes enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Today, my kids and husband await that package as eagerly as I do.

1 comment:

  1. I think Wikopedia says it's only sold in 5 or 6 states...wild! I have one package left and plan to share it at our small group Christmas party on Sunday. I'm considering adding cinnamon...I think that would be festive and taste good. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete