Sunday, July 3, 2011

belgian waffles

This is hands down the best Belgian waffle recipe EVER! My husband Ted makes these and they are melt in your mouth delicious. I will say that only dad makes them. In my diabolical scheme, I have convinced our children mommy can't make these, only daddy can. This is a beautiful thing.

I will also take a moment to explain the origins of my Belgian waffle maker. I acquired the device at one of those pick a gift and steal a gift pass around Christmas games. It was on my mom's side of the family and they are serious about playing the game. You roll up your sleeves or else you don't whine about going home with the lame gift. And there is no question what the lame gift is because they will all tell you. For real. So, I picked a gift that someone thought they needed and like that my gift was stolen. I have no idea what I had because I had my eyes on the Belgian waffle maker my Grandpa Ken had set slightly under his chair. This is a good technique, however, often backfires in this crowd as someone will notice the tactic and then announce it and then bye-bye to the gift you wanted. Anyway, I stole the waffle maker from my Grandpa. In all honesty, I don't think he was that excited about it. Well, for sure not as excited as I was. I will say my sister teased me quite a bit for stealing from my Grandpa. Today, the waffle iron is still trekking along. We've made hundreds of delicious waffles in this baby!

Here's my favorite recipe, enjoy! Disclaimer, I suspect these taste SO wonderful to me because they are made by my husband and not me. As a kid, my mom used to say that my McDonald french fries tasted better than if she had just gotten her own bag. Which I would always ask, "Why don't you get your own bag!?!?!"

Belgian Waffles

Ingredients:
2 eggs, separated
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons salad oil
2 tablespoons melted butter
4 teaspoons baking powder

Mix egg yolks, flour, milk, salt, sugar, oil and melted butter. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add to first mixture. Just before baking, fold in baking powder.

Bake in a preheated waffle iron.

Makes 4 - 6 waffles, depending on the waffle iron.

*Ted makes a double batch and it satisfies our salacious appetites.

2 comments:

  1. Robin Bailey!! I am shocked that you stole such a prized possession from your grandpa!!!! (Way to go. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are fun kitchen times when the waffle iron appears to grace the counter...everyone wants to get into the act! Everyone has a part to play and I love it when Ted conducts the orchestra!

    ReplyDelete