Thursday, October 14, 2010

fertilization

Tuesday was a spectacular fall day. I took the kids to Tumwater Falls for a hike, in hopes of spotting the caboose of salmon journeying up stream. We were able to spot a few stragglers that sadly will most likely not make it to their destination.

Each year we visit this park and others and witness what is in my mind nothing short of a miracle. The journey salmon make to their home water where they were born is incredible. As a side note, if you live in WA check out McLane Creek in November.

This year, Natalie was particularly interested in what the salmon were up to and what would come of them. I explained the life cycle several times emphasizing the circle of life. (Go ahead, break out your Lion King soundtrack.) Natalie asked me, "Do only the female salmon swim up stream to lay the eggs?" I replied, "No, males and females make the journey." She said, "You mean in salmon the male and females lay eggs?" "No, only the females." I said. "Then why do the males swim up stream?" she innocently asked. "Because they are needed to fertilize the eggs. With out them, there would be no hatching of the eggs." I said. "When I was an egg did Daddy have to fertilize me?" She said. "Yes." I cautiously replied. With a puzzled look she asked, "Well, how did Daddy fertilize me?!?!" And there it was. The birds and the bees question posed by my 6 1/2 year old in a way that was her own and all Natalie. "How did daddy fertilize me when I was an egg?"

My response, "Well, God made a special way for that to happen and it is something you and I can talk about when you get a little older." "Ok" she replied. Needless to say, I breathed a sigh of relief.

4 comments:

  1. What no story of the Stork!? So when she sees the pictures of storks carrying babies in diapers she'll have to say, "My Mommie never told me." :)
    Good job fielding the question! Now just tell her to ask Dad to explain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - yeh, those days of the birds and bees are creeping up. You did an awesome job in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I agree, Ted is due to field some of these. :) And yes, the stork joke will be on deaf ears for Nat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You often mention you are slow to process, but that must only be with adults. You think great on your feet with the kids! I think it's a divine gift and if I had the choice, I'd pick to be that way with kids, too!

    ReplyDelete