Thursday, October 21, 2010

hands down the best dad ever

So, 2 nights ago something comical happened. Natalie had built a fort of cardboard boxes and various garage things outside near the chicken coop. She was tucked inside and peeked out to say, "I want to sleep out here tonight." I laughed and told her she'd get too cold. She persisted. Now, as a stay at home mom I sometimes feel like the bad parent, meaning the one getting the lions share of saying 'no'. So, I decided she should ask her dad. After all this was a no brainer 'no', right? I proceeded inside and made dinner, did laundry and other domestic glamorous things. I glanced out the window and noticed Ted setting up our back packing tent in the back yard. I thought uh-oh. Backfire big time. I casually called out, "Hey, what are you guys up to?" Ted replied that Will and Natalie were going to spend the night outside in the tent. Nat had mentioned I told her to ask him and he thought it was a great idea. "Ok" I said in shock. Ted came in and we discussed it. He assured me they would be fine. He exclaimed that our kids were amazing and the fact that they wanted to do this was something we needed to encourage. He was stoked and I was nauseous. The kids outside alone?!?! I hoped their plans would waver as darkness and cold set in, but the opposite occurred. Immediately following dinner they said goodnight mom and dad we're going to bed. And off they went, outside. Lydia slept in an inside fort in the toy room with her caterpillar. When all were sleeping I told Ted we had to carry them all back to their beds but he insisted they stay. He told me not to worry because he would go out and sleep in the tent too. "On a work night!" I exclaimed. He laughed and at 10:30 off he went in his mummy bag. They had a grand adventure. They made memories that will last forever. I am grateful for my husband who has the super power of playing like a kid. I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like you...I'm surprised it wasn't your idea! I know where they get their ideas from....their mom is NUTS...hahaha....in a good way! :)

    ReplyDelete