Sunday, January 23, 2011

Passion

Last Friday, my kids and I enjoyed a presentation on falconry. Now a week later what sticks with me most is the man's passion for birds. As he presented the history and facts of falcons he was giddy, like a child although he was in his 50's. When he shared his love for the smell of falcons he almost began skipping. He explained that he often dreamed of that smell and loved it so. He let the children smell the bird and explained now this smell would be forever with them. I love meeting people like this. People whose passion is so specific, they are an expert in their field. People who have taken their passion and put ACTION to it. My kids loved the experience and so did I!

I left wanting to buy my son a bb gun to explore nature. We talked about it and Will began reciting off wild game he would shoot. Polar bears, elephants, giraffes, panda bears and so on. Natalie was flabbergasted. She launched into explaining that he couldn't shoot and kill some of those animals. "Right mom?" I explained to them that some animals were not legal to hunt nor indigenous to WA. He said he wanted to hunt panda bears so he could use the fur to make pillow pets for other kids. (Will revived a panda bear pillow pet for Christmas.) So, maybe its a tad bit early for a bb gun, but I am grateful for his enthusiasm for adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Can you imagine the ghastly job of making pillow pets from real Pandas? ugh! That boy is ALL BOY! Gotta love him!

    ReplyDelete