Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why We Home School

I don't have a cute little school room and my kids don't wear adorable matching clothes. In fact, most days they are dressed in mismatched, worn out play clothes. Their teacher, me, is often wearing sweat pants and not the super cute ones with the matching zip hoodie and pink rinestones.

Some may think we are crazy and some days I think we are too. Some may wonder if I am teaching them anything and some weeks I obsessively worry that same thought as well. Unlike some, I am not anti public school. In fact, I think public schools are a good place. I really do. This is radical thinking for a homeschool mom. So, why do we do it? We homeschool for 2 primary reasons right now.

1. To maintain innocence a bit longer. Please note I believe there is a distinction between innocence and being naive. I DO NOT want my children to be naive to this world. I think that can be dangerous. However, they also do not need to learn big words and adult concepts at 5 and 6.

2. We want to live life as a family. We want our kids to bond with one another and have deep roots within their family. The last 18 months on 43 open acres has helped cement that. Our family is together often. We have many habits that bring togetherness and we love it.

Some things I know about my kids. They are friends. They LOVE to learn and are capable scholars. My kids are explorers and long for adventure. They are bold and daring. My kids are social and have many friends. (This is a big misconception some hold true about homeschooled kids.)

I don't know what schooling decision next year will bring. Each year we ask God and He directs us. We believe these are His kids that we are blessed to raise and care for. We are committed to loving them always and doing as the Lord would lead. For now, I savor being with them every day. I count it as pure joy to watch them grow, learn and love. This doesn't mean everyday is easy. Often, it isn't but when you know what you are doing is what you've been called to do, you trek on. And on the real hard days, I hit the pillow in surrender and thank God that tomorrow is a new day.

3 comments:

  1. I think we are all a little crazy, but crazy can be fun! :) Thanks for sharing Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Robin. Your kids are amazing and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Robin, you're a really good writer. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete