Wednesday, May 18, 2011

On expectations

In the past, Mother's Day was often an unpleasant day for me. It all stemmed from unmet expectations that were thought to have been expressed, but weren't. And to clarify, the expectations weren't even quite realized!

The day would arrive and some years my sweetie would need to make a mysterious store run the night before or morning of. Irritation crept in and well, once that happens I easily let the day be ruined. A few years ago, Ted and I sat down when time had passed from the day and I could communicate clearly. It was a good talk. We got to the heart of what I needed and this was even news to me. I told Ted what I'd love is for us to have a tradition and the one I picked was a zoo visit each Mother's Day. We've trekked to Portland, Seattle and this year Tacoma for a day at the zoo.

I love my 30's. In my 20's, I expected this poor man to read my mind and do just what I needed. If I had to ask for something, I let the blessing be robbed and instead would feel frustrated. Today, I am comfortable verbalizing my needs as a wife and mom. When those needs are met, I am blessed and grateful for a husband who's heart is to bless me. Ever since we had our mother's day expectations talk, I have felt so blessed and honored each year.

Ted does more than just take me to the zoo each year, but the extra is raspberries on top. (I don't like cherries.) What I'd like to encourage is women to verbalize their needs and CHOOSE to be blessed when what you express happens.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. After visiting my mom, my step-mom, and my mother-in-law...there was nothing left for me. We were all pooped and cranky and went off to finish homework, watch TV, have some down-time. I do love the homemade cards and morning hugs and wishes from you and Tracy...it just seemed that we were too busy going here and there to enjoy the day. Glad you get to spend time with your kids and hubby on this special day for moms!

    ReplyDelete