Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Peanut butter war

I had worked for over 2 months to get my kids off of Jif and onto Adams Natural Peanut Butter. It was a fight. If you've ever made this transition for yourself or with children, you feel my pain. After 2 months, the switch was made and I made a daring leap into the almond butter realm. We were a week into almond butter and then I went away for the weekend.

I returned to CostCo sized Jif's gracing my cupboards. I gasped out loud when I saw the twin jars and I am certain they smirked at me. I took a deep breath and asked my man where they came from. Ted explained that he had gone to CostCo while I was away and asked the kids if we needed PB. They eagerly replied, "Yes!". I explained my arduous battle with PB conversion in our home and suddenly their ecstatic CostCo response to an innocent question, made sense to him.

So..... we still have Jif in the house. The kids have interpreted this as a mom's PB versus dad's PB battle. A divided house, or a perceived divided house, is never a good thing. With hubbie on board, I will re-tackle the Adams transition this summer when the Jif jars are empty and no more. As for the return of almond butter, maybe in 2012?

5 comments:

  1. We've made the switch to Adams as well! I don't know that almond butter will ever happen in our home, however. It's good to hear your stories again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, all your hard work and back to square 1! We are on the "Natural Jif", which is part of our 12 step program towards a walk-the-walk natural PB - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made the switch about 3 years ago and now I can taste the "artificial" of Jiff (or in my case, Skippy). I like to warm it in the micro or leave it at room temp a bit before I'm going to need it. Then it's perfect! It more easily spreads on bread/toast; or scoops on apples, pears, Annie's chocolate bunny crackers, and even a spoon or finger that way. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement ladies! We will get back on the PB wagon soon.... Annie, I like adding another step with Jif's all natural. That might be just the extra step I need to make the switch this go around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hubby is so sweet! I just love Ted!

    ReplyDelete