Monday, August 10, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, our FIRST egg has arrived!


Paint me orange and call me a pumpkin, our first egg arrived today!

Natalie made the discovery. I put on my rubber boots and headed out in my pajamas and there it was. The prettiest egg I ever did see. The kids each got to hold it and then Natalie thought we should bring it inside the house. “I think the hens are worried we’re taking their baby mom.”

Ted and I estimate that this little (and I mean that literally) beauty is worth about $400. We are being serious. Between coop renovations, bedding, water supplies, pooper scoopers and so on and on and on...well, you get the idea. It all adds up. The Olympia food co-op chicken expert wasn’t teasing when he said, "Raising your own chickens for eggs is NOT cheaper." Good thing that’s not why we got into this.

It was an exciting day at our house. Natalie has checked the hen house about 32 times today and I am sure it will be her first stop in the morning. I am just pleased that ‘A Year with Chickens’ has FINALLY yielded an egg.

As a side note, we do not know who the first layer was. Harriet, Helga and Hazel have been silent on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I am so excited! And as usual, your children's comments are just too precious! It's a good thing you are recording it all, otherwise, they wouldn't believe it later in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we need is another dozen eggs just like this one and we'll be ready for one of daddy's omelets!

    ReplyDelete