Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Miraculous Adventure with Iris

Yesterday morning, Natalie discovered a caterpillar and asked to keep it. I agreed she could for the day, knowing if I agreed to anything else our condo room would be an insect zoo in no time. She carefully prepared a cleaned out spaghetti jar and filled it with leaves and a little water. Together we placed saran wrap on the lid, fastened with a rubber band, and poked out some holes for oxygen. Then, we went out for the day and Iris stayed behind. Natalie was anxious to return. When we did, Iris was laying in water at the bottom and sadly, she was dead. (In hind site, I should've checked the misting of water in the jar...) Nat was heartbroken! She held Iris and cried. I suggested she put her outside. Nat and I sat together and talked about accidents which is what this was. Natalie prayed that she would be ok and kept running out and checking on her. It broke my heart! At one point she went to the bathroom and I decided to go out and chuck Iris over the garden hedge so Nat would be comforted and think the caterpillar had walked off. I went out and honestly her head moved just a little. I decided to leave it alone and go back inside. (I was shocked!) About 10 minutes later Natalie came back in beaming and declaring a miracle. The caterpillar was now alive and although moving slowly, was headed for the garden. She boasted from our room what Jesus had done and her joy and awe was infectious.

At dinner, the little thought slowly seeped in, "I guess it wasn't dead after all." I immediately cast it out and declared the miracle that had occurred. Trust me, this little caterpillar was DEAD and the prayers of Nat rose it again. This may sound crazy, but our family witnessed it. This is a picture of the God who created us and that we love and serve. He cares for Natalie so much that he "fixed" her caterpillar, Miss Iris. In a way she can understand, God displayed himself as Mighty to her! Oh, how great is our God!

*The photo is one Nat drew while she waited to see what would happen to Iris. It is a picture showing where she found her.

1 comment:

  1. I love it - what a great reflection of God's love to a little girl. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete