Sunday, November 22, 2009

binding off

As a side note, yes a side note even before I begin, apparently there are different binding off techniques, much to my chagrins. :)

I recently learned the knit bind off from a utube video in the comforts of my living room. I did it successfully and felt on top of the world. A dish cloth, the masterpiece being finished, NEVER looked so good. As I cut the string and looped it through the last loop, I then snipped the end...... If you are a knitter you are now gasping. Yes, I snipped it. What was I thinking! I even knew the end was to be woven back in with that giant plastic needle.

Due to being snipped, the corner looked awful. I was about to stab myself with the needle or strangle myself with the remaining tri color cotton yarn when I quickly calmed down and decided maybe it wasn't so bad. That's when I showed my finished dishcloth to my husband. Here was his reply or at least how my ears heard it, "Why did you cut the end off like that? I think you were supposed to sew it back in so it looked like the other corners." I took a deep breath and considered retiring from a quick, quiet life of knitting. I contemplated stabbing Ted with the needle, but decided otherwise. I do like being married after all. Although I thought this "beauty" would be a gift, I've decided I will keep it instead.

Yesterday, to prove to myself that I could indeed do it, I knit a new washcloth and remembered to not snip-snip the ends. It turned out delightful. My patience is growing....

2 comments: