Sunday, November 22, 2009

Natalie you surprise me!

A few weeks ago I told Natalie about Upward, a basketball league for kids, and asked if she'd like to be apart. Seeing she didn't look too wild about it, I told her to think it over. Over the next few weeks she asked lots of questions like, "Will people be watching me?" She also kept saying, "I'm too shy." Which my response was always you are not shy, God made you gentle. (There is a difference!) To my surprise she came to me and said, "I want to join that basketball team." You are a thinker Natalie, I love it!

So, we signed her up on Friday, and the try outs were that day too. I had been sick, so Ted took her along with the other wee ones to try outs. Natalie can't dribble the ball (Yet!) and she's never really tried to shoot so I was a nervous mom waiting at home.

When Ted got home we put the kids to bed and then I sucked out every last detail of the night, which he gladly shared. He said, "I have never seen a little girl try so hard and not give up before." She stood in the lines by herself with her clipboard, listened to the adults and did the timed drills. When it came to shooting baskets, she didn't make a shot.

Seeing her disappointment, Ted went up and said why don't we stay until you make one. She was delighted. She shot and shot and shot..... for 20 minutes. Ted encouraged her and helped her aim and then she made one. She yelled, "I did it dad!" She was excited for the after try outs cookie she had been told about at registration, but they were gone. Dad to the rescue! "Natalie why don't we go out for ice cream to celebrate your basket." Squeals of delight from all 3 of course.

I just know Upward is going to boost her confidence in so many ways. I am excited for basketball season and blessed to be seeing Natalie grow. I love you Natalie! And Ted, you are one amazing dad and husband. I love you too.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Natalie! You are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure sorry I missed that! I have always believed that children can do ANYTHING! but they need to do what is fun for them and makes them happy! Way to go, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance is a trait in the Bailey home. That was awesome to see how two loving parents pour out their encouragement to one little girl. Natalie, you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete