Wednesday, March 3, 2010

chirp update

All 3 chicks are alive and thriving! I am shocked that at a week old they are already noticeably larger and their feathers are changing. You might be surprised that a ND native is naive when it comes to chicks and such farmish things, but I am. After all, I am from West Fargo. Please note West Fargo is its own city. I am not, as some may suspect, trying to delineate between parts of Fargo nor am I trying to distance myself from the movie. :)

One thing I learned about heat lights and chicks... They sell a clear bulb or red bulb. I asked the gal at the feed store what the difference was and she said, "There is no difference." I wondered why is the red bulb double the cost then? I asked and she said, "Oh, some people like the red bulbs because if one of the chicks gets sick or dies and the chicks peck it, the others won't see the blood and join in." What?!?! Guess which bulb I bought? Yes, the red one. SO thankful all 3 girls are doing fine.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my....I just learned something new about chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe sometimes you share TOO much info?....just kidding, good to know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we did name them! I'm goint to upload photos of each and introduce them to you all this week! :)

    ReplyDelete