Thursday, February 11, 2010

Borrowing Money

When I was a kid, I was the spender and my sister was the saver. This was very clear at an early age. Whether it be birthday or chore money, she stashed and I pulled out the cash. I'm not sure what I bought? Probably toys, candy, and when I was older definitely clothes. As a child, I was never successful at saving, or at least that's my recall. My sister, on the other hand, wedged all her loot in her piggy bank, which was actually a rabbit I believe, and would dig it out on occasion just to count it. I would watch, envious of all the possibilities, but she was a saver. I recall on various occasions my mom or dad needing cash and writing her an IOU, which she ALWAYS made them do. Back then, you needed to go to a bank for cash and there were times, I'm sure, when that wasn't an option.

Well, I borrowed my first dollar from Natalie about a month ago. I needed to tip my barista. (At this point I feel it's important to note that while I enjoyed my chai tea, the kids had a hot chocolate to savor too.) The same scenario played out yesterday and again my daughter willingly gave me a dollar. She didn't ask me for an IOU, but when Natalie learns that term I'm guessing she will adopt Aunt Tracy's practice. :) I have promptly paid her back each time.

I don't know if Natalie is a spender or saver yet. I do know she is generous. She currently has all her money in a black, butterfly purse. We saw a homeless man on Monday and true to my kids usual reaction they wanted to give him something. I drove on and explained I had no cash or food, but we did pray. (Will said, Lord give that man a job.) Natalie then remembered her purse and with big golf ball eyes, explained she had cash. After preschool drop off for Will, we headed to Ralph's to buy the man lunch (Don't worry, I paid.). I asked Natalie how much cash she wanted to give him. She handed me $1.06. I had to smile. We drove back to the corner on Pacific,but the man was gone. That's ok though, it was about all our hearts and they were willing. It was a good lesson, and especially so for ME.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so cool. I always want to give something even though I know some people in the world are scam artists, some aren't. I would rather err on the side of generosity...and I have to try to be more creative about that now that I am not working. You gave me a nudge, thanks! Love you! Lord, I am so grateful for generous children and grandchildren and the innocence in which YOU are followed! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you mom. My kids teach me new things everyday. It's such a precious gift. Do you recall Tracy's bunny bank? It had the fake fuzz all over it and red eyes???? LOL It's fun to remember. Well, some things! LOL Love ya mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I think Tracy was always the banker when we played Monopoly and hated having to apy us for anything...like even the $200 for passing GO! I wonder if she remembers...

    ReplyDelete