Thursday, February 10, 2011

Butcher Paper Letters

Snail Mail Definition: Snail mail is so retro and reto is cool. You take paper, pen, envelope and stamp and hand write a letter to someone. You mail it to them by placing it in that tin box at the end of your driveway, you know the one that houses junk mail in it everyday. You lift up that cute little metal flag and voila! It is picked up and hand delivered to the recipients tin box, often referred to as a mail box.

Here's a fun variation on a standard sized letter and envelope.

Materials:
*Butcher paper - This can be purchased at any craft store, Target etc... It is usually housed in the kids art supply section, like with the Crayola stuff.

*Markers of various colors - You could even use scented markers to awaken an additional sense to the butcher paper letter experience. (I prefer Mr. Sketch as they are a bit of nostalgia for me.)

*A sturdy cardboard mailing tube

Procedure:
Role a good length of butcher paper out and cut. There is a 6 foot minimum rule and I believe in this instance bigger is better.

Choose who your recipient will be and begin to compose a letter to them on the butcher paper.

This isn't a novel, use BIG letters. Add pictures either hand drawn or cut out ones from magazines. Not an artist? It's ok! Draw stick figures and label your drawings. The butcher paper letter my mom created for me when I was in college used symbols in place of some words. Hers was a letter of encouragement so when she told me I was amazing there were bursts of large stars drawn everywhere. Instead of using the letter "I" she drew a big picture of an actual eye.

So far, I have written at least 3 of these. One was to a college roommate telling her how awesome she was. Another, to my sister and in this one I retold funny memories from growing up. The last was to an author and amazing woman I really was hoping to meet. I requested tea, but never heard back. (Bummer! I had hoped my unusual letter would grant me a meeting.) If you are reluctant to try it, invite a friend over to do it with you. Ask them to bring their marker stash as well and make a party of it. The point is you will have a blast and the recipient will be overjoyed to receive a truly unique form of snail mail.

Letter it up!

2 comments:

  1. How sweet that you remembered that, Robin. I remember having fun drawing your brain and the compartments in it! Love that brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was precious to me! I only recycled it a couple years ago, after photographing it in sections of course. I will treasure that memory always!

    ReplyDelete