Friday, February 25, 2011

Funny Story Friday #2

I don't know that this story can be retold in words, but I shall attempt it. I will note I think it would best be told through video. Let me paint the scene. It was June of 2009. We had recently moved into our rental in the country. My husband and his friend were making significant improvements to the chicken coop, it was in progress.... I called Lattin's Cider Mill in Olympia and found out they had a few hens for sale that were around 2 months old. My friend and I went to pick them up. I wasn't sure what to bring so I grabbed a few empty moving boxes. We arrived and they explained none of the farmers were there that late in the day. We'd need to come back or get them ourselves. How hard could that be? We of course opted to get them ourselves.

I should have worn a pad that day. Not for the usual reason they are worn, but I'm pretty certain I peed my pants. Catching 4 birds was more than challenging. I totally underestimated how frightened I would get approaching a bird that didn't want to be caught. I didn't think about how opposed the birds themselves would be at getting snatched up. I was such a chicken! I squealed and pulled my hands up to my neck and this is something I rarely do. I catch frogs! I catch snakes with the kids! I've handled a tarantula for goodness sakes. Yet, these birds terrified me. I wondered why in the world I hadn't thought to bring gloves.

Now, these aren't cute adorable chicks nor are they adult hens, which to me are now beautiful. These juvenile birds resemble miniature dinosaurs. They really do! There feathers aren't all in and their necks are very long and partially bare skin. It was challenging catching them. I had no idea what I was doing and absolutely no technique or plan. My friend, after taking photos and video.... came into help me trap them. We eventually got them all into our moving boxes. Giving up wasn't an option. We were a sweaty mess. I wondered what in the world I was getting myself into. A wonderful adventure that's what. I challenge you, choose adventure!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my word Robin. I want to see that video! I LOVE funny story Fridays! Thank you! And, yes. I will choose adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventure is the only way to live. I can only imagine what things looked like - Funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that the little red-haired girl you were with? Let's get her video to post! Would love to see the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious! Miniature Dinosaurs? I would have loved to see that!

    ReplyDelete