Friday, March 11, 2011

Funny Story Friday #4

During 2 years of college, I worked as a nanny. I had various mom duties including grocery shopping, meal planning and cooking for the family of 6. When I got the job, my family chuckled as I was never much of a cook growing up. I had much to learn.

Well, one of my first dinners was a chicken dish with sauteed garlic in the sauce. The recipe called for one clove of garlic. I had never cooked with fresh garlic, only powdered McCormick's. I began dinner around 5, to be done by 6:30. At 6, I was still frantically trying to peel the garlic. The mother arrived home early and asked what in the world I was doing. I apologized and explained I should have begun earlier, but I had no idea how long it was going to take to peel and dice a clove of garlic. Sitting next to me on the cutting board was a mound of garlic. I thought the entire garlic bulb = 1 clove. She graciously explained the error of my garlic understanding and together we had a good laugh, thankful me to not be fired on the spot! I will note the dish was saved and turned out quite delicious.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to say that you tossed the whole thing into the dish, papery outsides and all.

    How funny! But I remember thinking the same thing too, before I really started cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a visual and I am laughing yay hardily. Love Funny Story Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete