Saturday, March 26, 2011

I miss the sky....


I am a prairie girl at heart. The thing I miss most about the prairie is the flatness of the earth. I once thought that was boring, but now see it otherwise. As you may have guessed, when I lived there I didn't appreciate it and now that I'm far away I do. The view where I was born and raised is mostly sky and it is simply spectacular. I recently visited Texas, another sky dominant state, and I enjoyed soaking up the blue sky and watching the clouds as they moved along. I love the green evergreen state I know reside in, but I do miss the sky.

If you appreciate the prairie, you've got to read If You're Not From the Prairie by David Bouchard. It is beautiful in verse and illustration. Like most of my treasured books, it is a children's.

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to Kauai? When you sit on the beach at night the sky stretches forever, unlike in my home where all that can be seen from our window is the neighbors siding. I miss the sky too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, we have been to Kauai and the sky there is amazing. I agree! Something about the vastness of it makes me in awe of our wonderful creator. Love it-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the miles of fields of wheat, too!

    ReplyDelete