Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sudoku

I never had much interest in these puzzles because frankly, I had no clue how to play. I get a wee bit intimidated by complex games with lots of rules and strategy. Although I LOVE swimming, I prefer whole body swims to brain swims. I need to figure out how to access the 90% of my brain that scientist's say the average person doesn't use because my 10% sometimes feels full. Is there an auto archive button on my body somewhere?

Anyway, last weekend I went to Texas and one of the ladies I was traveling with handed me a page with 4 sudoku puzzles on it. I thought, "oh boy." I recall once my father-in-law, who is an addict for this game, trying to explain it to me. Now that I can do it, I think when explaining the point he mixed in his own strategy's and thus the simplicity of the game was lost to me and I thought, "never". This time, in simple terms, it was explained to me on the airplane. After the basic rules, 1 strategy was shared and then she said you'll figure your own strategies as you do it and learn it. Now, I'm hooked. I am not neglecting feeding my family or sleep or anything crazy like that, it's a good healthy hook at this point.

So, if you've never tried these, I suggest you give it a whirl. It is a good brain exercise and a wee dose of satisfaction at completing. Here's a link to a site with the basic, simple instructions. Enjoy!
http://www.sudokuessentials.com/sudoku_rules.html

1 comment:

  1. A friend just told me more about the rules, all I'd heard before was "fill in the blanks with numbers from 1-9...it was so easy, I didn't see the point. NOW I know the whole story and look forward to really giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete