Friday, April 8, 2011

funny story friday #7

first date...

Ted and I were freshman in college and had become good friends. When he asked me on a date, I was excited and very nervous. Viewing someone as a possible boyfriend versus just friend required a microscope versus a magnifying lens. (This goes both ways!)

Ted picked me up at my dorm room. He was wearing white washed blue jeans and a rugby shirt. Rugby shirts were not being worn much in 1999, in Duluth MN anyway. Now, what one needs to know about the first date experience is that there is a lot riding on anything said or done. This rugby shirt was a daring move on his part. I, on the other hand, was cool in my light wash esprit jeans, white tank with an open Union bay flannel on. I wore white leather keds, of course (standard foot attire for me at that time).

Ted took me to Chi Chi's Mexican Restaurant. Before we ordered our meal, Ted shared that he had given plasma that day to take me out on our date. Oof da. The rugby got a bye, but there was no way this comment could afford that. I knew that I needed to order a moderate meal so his $35 plasma money would cover dinner and the tip. I ordered sea food nachos and stuck to water. Ted ordered one of those humongous sampler plates and I realized he wasn't worried about the bill.

The date was a little bit awkward. I think we were both unsure of how date talk was supposed to look compared to our friendship chats. After dinner, we went back to campus and Ted taught me to play cribbage. This was much more natural. Suddenly, the rugby shirt was cute. He had dressed up for me. Even the plasma comment was endearing. He had "worked" to take me out. There was a gentleness about Ted that drew me to him and I'm glad he asked me out. Today, I appreciate the hilarity of being able to say my husband donated plasma to take me out on our first date. How crazy is that!

3 comments:

  1. Uh uh, I didn't laugh reading this one. This is a totally endearing story. How sweet. I'm glad you guys grabbed a hold of each other and held on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahaha! I laughed a lot! Even though I've heard this one before :) It's super cute, but quite funny too! Aw Ted, you're so precious!

    ReplyDelete