Thursday, April 7, 2011

just sit

Today we needed an adventure. We ended up at the Olympia Farmers Market and to our double delight the sunshine made a magnificent performance AND it was opening day at the market. We ventured to the music and got a front row seat. My 2 girls, after a lot of encouragement, danced with other children. My eldest had wanted to dance SO bad, but insisted she was too shy and didn't want people watching her. I explained she could just face the band and enjoy herself and eventually she did just that. The smile that beamed from her melon warmed my heart for the next 100 billion years.

As we sat, what I was painfully aware of was my inner clocks desire to get going. I kept having to shut her up and say this is it. There is no agenda. No gotta get here and there by this time. As great as it was to just sit and enjoy the moment, it was hard. I told my inner self to shush or I would be forced to get up and dance. I began mentally reviewing my dance card from college. The sprinkler, shopping cart, a lil robot. Hmmm maybe a somewhat modified version was still in there somewhere. I was prepared to pull these out and I threatened this inner voice with the reality that it was about to happen. Suddenly, the inner voice silenced and let me enjoy myself. After this mental battle, it really was wonderful.

After the market, we climbed the tall tower (behind Anthony's) and looked for moon jellies. It was a splendid afternoon with my offspring.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a fantastic time! Glad you were able to be the boss of your inner clock and got to just sit and enjoy the music and the moment. We don't get enough of those in our lives. Or maybe the truer statement is, we don't recognize those moments enough times in our lives. Either way, I'm glad you did yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guessing you may need to do more of this...sounds like good soul medicine!

    ReplyDelete