Thursday, April 7, 2011

make a wish, or not

My youngest dumpling had her tonsils removed 2 weeks ago. We had our follow-up yesterday with the surgeon. The children's hospital has a beautiful fountain out front and so after our appointment we took a gander. I peeked in my wallet and found 3 hopeful pennies. Perfect. I gave each child a penny and told them to toss it in and make a wish.

Their responses made me realize we'd never done this before. Growing up, tossing pennies and wishes into fountains was common place. I needed to explain to my kids and my eldest looked at me with dreamy eyes and said, "And mom this is true? If I wish it and throw the penny in it will really happen?" So, some of the fun was maybe lost in explaining....

My first and second wanted desperately to share their wish, so they whispered it in my ear. My peanut wished for lots of money. She then launched into a plan of how that could happen. I was beaming as her plan was all about working hard and saving. So wise at only 7! My second whispered he longed to be a pirate. "Not the dress up kind mom, but a REAL pirate." My third refused to wish. "I will never, never wish." she declared. She saved her penny for her piggie bank.

1 comment: