Monday, April 11, 2011

Put a bird on it


Idea 2 - Birds on my Armoire

Materials:

-paper (scrapbook, an old map or old picture book, music paper....)
-bird silhouette for tracing
-scissors
-double sided tape
-iron and ironing board
-thin flour sack like towel
-surface to bird up! (armoire, book shelf, window, mirror....)

Procedure:
-I found a bird silhouette by searching google images. I copied and pasted it into a word document. In word, I c
hanged the size to fit my liking. I printed this on standard printing paper and cut it out. I then traced the bird onto card stock and cut it out as my stencil.

-I chose to use an old
map that I've been saving for a project. I traced 4 birds and then folded the map on the regular folded lines. When I cut the birds out, it cut through multiple layers so I was left with 4 birds per single trace.

-My map had been saved from the recycle bin so it was worn. I ironed the paper cut out birds by placing them 4 at a time on my ironing board. I laid a thin flour sack over the cut birds and ironed them on a gentle setting.

-Onc
e the birds were flat, I used double stick tape to adhere them to an armoire in my living room that needed a little spring pizazz. The result is subtle, which I like. If you would like a bolder effect, you could outline them in black or choose a bold pattern paper that will pop. To age the birds, simply use a paint brush and used tea bag to paint over the paper. This light tea "paint" will give a lovely antiqued look to your birds.

-Put a bird on it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment