Tuesday, April 12, 2011

on patches

This is one of those when I was a kid rememberings......

When I was a kid, most of my jeans had patches on them. I played hard and my mom would lovingly sew or iron on patches as jeans with lots of life needed bandaging.

I rarely see patches in the world today. I see 3 possible theories. First, maybe jeans are made stronger and so they don't hole up as easily. To this theory, I have doubt. Second, maybe it is not fashion friendly to wear jeans with patches, well patches mended by mom that is. Or third, maybe kids just don't play physically like they used to.

This was on my mind this morning because we have 3 pairs of jeans in need of patching. I'm considering starting a fashion revolution to bring back patches. I believe patches should be worn as a badge of honor declaring to the world 'I know how to get dirty and play hard'!
Care to join the cause?

*A point to note. I am not speaking of high priced pre-patched jeans. Those patches weren't earned. I am talking old school stuff. The giant dark denim rectangle on the knees or the iron on patches cut into a heart. Just to clarify, that's what I would like to see more of.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea...ya, we just talked and I was going to clean but had to drink my shake first so openned your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have holey jeans galore! I can't seem to keep my girls off of their knees, and every time I turn around they are telling me they don't have any jeans without holes. So, I would love if you could bring back the patch craze. Patches with colorful flowers on them would be super fun! Is there such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya! We bought all different colors of sew on patches and cut out flowers and ironed them on, sometimes even sewed on embroidered patches of various kinds! But, hey! I thought people bought holey jeans now!???

    ReplyDelete